mercredi 31 janvier 2018

Jane Lee Hooker - Blues Spiritus !


With their 2nd album now out Jane Lee Hooker confirmed they are one of the best electric blues band nowadays.



I don't remember how I discovered the band. Online for sure but was it on social medias or on one of the music legal platforms I don't recall. And not that it is important at all. The only things that matter is that I've been impressed by their first album "No B!". Showcasing mostly covers, the songs are performed with such urge and energy that even what could have been considered as washed out classics sound like exciting brand new tracks.
My favorites are "The Hunter" and "Mannish Boy". Difficult to not make comparison with Tina Turner and especially since "The Hunter" is one of my best-loved song from Ike & Tina Turner legacy. But Dana has the pipes and bravado to compete and the band is delivering a version as good as Turners rendition and doing it like they wrote the track themselves. Same with "Mannish Boy", this track is one of the most known blues song and yet sounds fresh and youthful as ever. Possibly the best version I ever heard.
In between the covers you can find an original : "In The Valley". And while one could think the whole album is full of originals, another one could think the whole album is full of covers. Depending on ones knowledge of the blues and Rhythm and Blues legacy you might not noticed one way or another. But what everyone can be aware of is the quality of each and every track here. Stellar job.
But delivering a second album is not always an easy task so will they manage the situation ?

Well if you are a regular reader of this blog you know the answer since "Spiritus", their second opus, is featured in my Top 10 of 2017. Here's what I wrote then :

"This time the new and 2nd album is featuring originals for the most part and the music is still delivered with the same passion and efficiency than on their previous record. The soulful "Mama Said" is a stellar track with every band members on the top of their game. But you won't find much to complain about here, unless you can't stand blues music.  
Dana "Danger" Athens has the pipes to compete with Tina Turner and Betty Davis, the guitars of Tina "T-Bone" Gorin on Fender and Tracy Hightop on Gibson are equally great yet complementary and the rhythm section powered by Hail Mary Zadroga on bass and Melissa "Cool Whip" Houston on drums are tight and groovy enough to allow the songs to really stand out.
"Ends Meet", "Be My Baby", "The Breeze" are other examples of the talent of this wild bunch. Top notch."



So, ok, the band is good in studio but what about the real thing ? Equally great ! Check out the Rockpalast gig below to get an idea but let me tell you something. I was there last December when they played in Paris and I'll be there next time as well.






Jane Lee Hooker "No B!" (Ruf records - 2016)
1. Wade in the water
2. Mean Town Blues
3. I believe to my soul
4. Bumble Bee
5. In the valley
6. Free me
7. The hunter
8. Champagne and reefer
9. Didn't it rain
10. Mannish boy
11. Shake for me







Jane Lee Hooker "Spiritus" (Ruf records - 2017)
1. How ya doin' ?
2. Gimme that
3. Mama said
4. Be my baby
5. Later on

6. Black cat
7. Ends meet
8.How bright the moon
9.Turn on your love light
10. The breeze







https://www.facebook.com/JaneLeeHooker/
.http://www.janeleehooker.com



 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire